March 12, 2011

Thai Food

I've never been to a Thai restaurant in the states, so I have no idea what they're like. The closest contact I had with Thai food before coming here was that instant pad thai you can get at the store. Yeah, it's not even close.

Actually, I'm not sure why Thai food is the cool thing lately. The truth is, I'm not all too keen on it. some of it is certainly... interesting. It's fun to eat for the novelty sometimes. But I can't think of anything I've grown particularly attached to. Not even rotee, and that's not even Thai. I don't know how northern Thai food compares with southern Thai, which is, I think the model for most Thai restaurants back home. And I haven't tried some key dishes. Tom yum goong for example, which is a famous spicy soup with shrimp. I always have to gear myself up for the really spicy stuff. 

But here is a chronicle of some of my food experiences so far. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of some of the more odd food items but I'm working on it. 


This is the restaurant where I eat most of my meals. It's right next door and has air con. Many places have small spirit shrines such as this one. These things are more related to animism than Buddhism. 

You should be familiar with the "food groups." Most places offer these sauces. I'm not sure what they're called. The liquid in the one on the right is okay, but if you get even one chili seed your mouth will be on fire. The dark chili sauce in front is so intimidating I haven't tried it yet. I do occasionally add vinegar (on the right) or dry chilis (on the left). The sugar in the back is for if the dish is too hot. I've never tried it, preferring to suffer. 


some other common options include soy sauce, chili sauce (this stuff is actually more mild), ketchup and fish sauce (haven't tried it yet because Anisha always makes a face when she sees it, but I really should). 


My basic "comfort food," khao pad gai kaidao, or chicken and fried rice with a fried egg. They add fried eggs to everything and it is delicious. This dish is actually really bland so I experiment with sauces a lot.


Pad krapow mou, or pork with basil leaves. A little more spicy, but not bad. Not much nutritional value though, as it true of most stuff at restaurants... 


Khao mun gai, or Chinese ginger chicken with rice. What I usually get on campus. The ginger sauce has a bit of a kick and for some reason they always serve it with chicken broth. 


Kao soy, or curried noodles. This is traditional northern Thai fare and has a very distinct flavor. It is impossible to eat! I have yet to do so without showering myself in broth. You can't really see it, but it comes with a chicken drumstick (in the soup). The meat is so tender you can tear it off with the chopsticks. The noodles underneath are soft. 


Pad Thai. Literal translation - fried Thai? I think it's short for "noodles fried Thai style." What most people think of when they think Thai food. If I'm honest, it's probably my favorite dish. But so bad for you.


Also really bad for you. This is rotee. I think it is Turkish in origin. It's like deep fried tortillas filled with banana and covered in chocolaty goodness. And condensed milk. And sugar. 


Of course if that doesn't do it for you, you can always try some crickets or mackerel. 


Or squid tentacles.


Or chicken heads.

That's all for this adventure into Thai culinary arts. More to come. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and commentary, Heidi. Actually, most of that does look yummy, except for the chicken heads - though I do like chicken feet!

Keep your adventurous spirit and curiosity. What fun you are having!

Bye, Fern.

Jenny said...

I am partial to the chicken heads myself but the pad thai looks decently delicious;)

Laura...this is making me crave Taste of Thai#