somehow I've gotten stuck on listening to a lot of Maroon 5 lately. I'm not a huge fan of all of their music. Adam Levine's soulful singing can be a little grating at times. But some of their songs just grab you, you know? I was trying to figure out what it was about them that sets them apart from the general blahness of most pop artists and I realized it was the blues influence. You can hear it in their most popular songs. The lead singer uses blues inflection all the time and "sunday morning" is built on a ii-V-I progression.
My point is that the blues has given a lot to American music (huge understatement), so I thought I'd feature a blues master this week: Gene Harris. And since it's summertime here (and super hot again), I found a clip of him playing summertime. Unfortunately, it gets a little out of sync, but I don't know what is hotter, the weather or his playing.
2 comments:
That's what it is. I knew that it was something. The Blues explain how a song about terrible things (murder, for one) sound interesting.
This is one of my favorite songs. To see and hear it performed so wonderfully was a bright point in my day. Thanks for the study break, Heidi.
Post a Comment