July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July

I know, I promised you a report on the concert AND there's been no music psa besides. I suppose I've been a bit busy with, well, work. Lately my days have been filled with classes, meetings and lesson planning. It's been nice to feel like I actually have a legit number of working hours every week. But to be honest I had plenty of time to write this weekend and just didn't. Now I should be finishing my first test for Critical Thinking, but I can't seem to  focus on anything so I guess I'll try to update you on what's been happening.


Firstly, happy Independence Day! I considered going to the celebration that's being put on by the American Embassy, but decided it wasn't worth the money. I almost forgot about the 4th of July to be honest. However it is a nice segway into the fact that Thailand just held elections and is forming a new government. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14010235 I'm ashamed to say I haven't really been keeping tabs on the political situation and only became aware of the election when I discovered that the nursing dorm campus was one of the polling stations on the day of. I walked out of the dorm to be confronted with a crowded parking lot and many people in boyscout uniforms. I had to ask what it was all about. The other volunteers couldn't believe my ignorance and wondered how I could have missed the campaign posters all over the city. Well, what can I say, I'm not very observant. Plus all the advertisements here kind of look the same. How am I supposed to know what they're about? Now that I'm aware of them though I have to admit there are some pretty funny ones. Everyone's favorite seems to be this exceptionally angry man. 









Wow, even the baby looks angry. But you can see my problem right? How was I supposed to know any of these were political in nature? The ones with animal heads are even less recognizable as political PR. Thai politics are, if possible, even more confusing than American politics to my mind. I have tried to get the gist of things, but I absolutely do not feel like I have the authority to provide commentary on the situation. so I refer you to the BBC article and the Bangkok Post or the Nation. 

1 comment:

Allison said...

I kept meaning to ask you about the political situation. Some believed that election day might get a little heated at the polls. I glad to hear that nothing untoward happened up there by you.

Angry Man is great. Vote for him and he will cure Angry Baby.