October 18, 2011

saturday, October 8th

My parents were scheduled to arrive early on saturday, October 8. Mai had found a really good deal on a very nice hotel in town that her mom had stayed at, and so I made reservations for them there and arranged for an airport pick up. I was pretty anxious and excited the night before their arrival as I hadn't seen them in a year and as there was so much to sort out regarding our travel plans, not to mention the prospect of saying goodbye to everyone in Chiang Mai and the looming job search that will greet me when I finally make it home. I didn't sleep well that night and when I woke up that morning I noticed that one of my eyes was bloodshot. Choosing to ignore this unfortunate and forboding symptom, I hurried down to the hotel where I anxiously awaited my parents arrival, only to discover that their original flight had been cancelled and they wouldn't arrive for another hour or so. So I went back to my room and took a nap before driving back down to the hotel where I was able to greet my parents and make sure they got settled okay.

It was strange and a little surreal to have my parents staying in Chiang Mai. After they'd had a chance to rest and recover from their long flight, I took them up to the nursing campus where we had lunch at my “usual” restaurant and I showed them around my adopted home. Then we went back to the Old City and did a brief walking tour of some of the highlights of the city. It was fun to show off my knowledge of Chiang Mai and see my parents' initial reactions to Thailand. We had a bit of difficulty making it back to the hotel, but we made it in the end and arranged a time to meet for breakfast in the morning. 

No comments: