November 4, 2010

A few things

  •  The other day I saw an elephant in the street. (A domesticated one). While this is cool, I guess it's not considered that humane and you're really not supposed to encourage it. But it was still cool.
  • I ate lunch in my campus' cafeteria today. I'm hoping to do this on a regular basis to kind of help "break the fourth wall" as you would say in theater terms between me and the students. Today I met a student who grew up in a Hill tribe. She was very nice and helped me navigate the food, which was amazingly awful. I don't even want to know what I ate.
  • Speaking of food, I don't know if I've mentioned this little incident, but the other day I was having lunch with the rest of the CVs and we were asking Ozzie what everything was. There was a sort of brown, jelly-like substance on the edge of our plates and when we asked what it was he said "I'll tell you later. Don't eat it." Apparently it was fried blood (or boiled? I don't know exactly how you cook blood). This culinary item is fairly common. Far moreso than I would like. I mean, I'm a pretty adventurous eater. But some of the stuff they eat here turns my stomach.
  • I can't believe the outfits they make the nursing students wear. The black skirt and white blouse seems fairly standard, but the actual nursing outfits seriously look like something out of World War II. Or quite possibly World War I. Or maybe even the Civil War. You think I'm being hyperbolic. Trust me I am not. I will try to take a picture sometime.
  • I really, really love the novel Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. Sometimes I go back and read things that I loved growing up and I can't remember what I thought was so great about them. But sometimes I reread things and think: dang I had good taste. It's so good. Read it.  

5 comments:

Laura said...

I'm glad you are the one having the food adventures. Sounds exotic from a distance.

Jenny said...

Agreed, Laura. I want to read Kidnapped now.

Allison said...

Oh Man! Boiled/broiled blood--hmmm. If Ozzie said don't eat it, I wouldn't. However, blood and blood products are found in various culinary environments. i.e. Black Pudding. Go with your gut; if it turns over at the sight of the fare on offer, stay away. It's official, Kidnapped is on the reading list along with My Family and Other Animals. You are such a good influence on me. Good luck!

Laura said...

Maybe the book club remnant could read Kidnapped. What do you think, Jenny?

Heidi said...

Chants: Read it, read it, read it! Jenny, unless I am much mistaken you would LOVE it. You too Allison. Alan Breck is simply one of the best characters ever written. What's mair, it's Scotch. "no strong, for the sake o' they pock-puddens, but jist a kitchen o't, to leeven the wersh, sapless, fushionless, stotty, stytering South-Scotch they think sae muckle o'. Its name is Kidnaaapped; or Memoyers of the Adventyres of Darvid Balfour in the year seventeen hunner and fifty wan. There's nae sculduddery aboot that, as ye can see for yoursel."

And it's short, so you guys would have no problem burning through it. Never fear Laura, even though it's short and an adventure story and written for youth it still has a lot of literary "meat" to it as I think you would say. I wouldn't read it without some decent explanatory notes (although you history folk might not need them as much as I do).

I wish I could read it with you all. I think I could read it about fifty times. At least.